Monday, July 13, 2009

Dejection Galore on 29th June

I gave my GMAT on 29th June and scored a meagre 690. Was pretty confident of scoring above 700, somewhere close to 750 - 760 Range. All the tests that I had given till now, including MGMAT, Kaplan, 800score.com and GMATprep.. I had consistently scored above 700 and most of the times in the range that I wanted..

On test day, I was pretty relaxed and the AWA section went pretty well.. Ideas were flowing in and I was able to write really good essays..

took break of 10 mins before quant..Had a banana and some chocolate.. The staff at this pearsonvue center (Milpitas, CA) are quite new and so the person took some time in checking me in. Lost couple of minutes there. Tried to calm myself. Maths being my strong area, I knew I could cope up with things. So avoided pressing the panic button.. Ultimately did quite well in quant. Scored 50 in the end..

Took another 10 mins break, and by this time I was feeling very good.. coz both my quant and AWA had gone well.. ate the 2nd banana.. had some more chocolate and since I was not able to sleep well the previous night, I thought of taking red bull too. Time of check in and again the perasonvue staff, were quite inefficient. I was getting irritated and asking the lady to check me in and she wasn't able to make the scroll bar move on her screen. Someone else had to help her. All this while she kept telling me that it would be unfortunate if I got checked in late. and in the end I again got checked in late. I tried hard to not press the panic button as I was quite agitated too with the casual reaction of the staff.. (after my exam I lodged a complaint against the pearsonvue center by calling 800-717-4628)

Verbal started very well too.. I think I definitely aced the first 8 questions.. Then I got a very tough RC.. very lengthy one too.. at least not the kind I had seen on MGMAT or KAPLAN or gmatprep.. The clock was ticking and the Red Bull effect dazed me.. I spent too much time on this RC.. and I believe that I still got it wrong. I was by this time, totally dazed.. I couldn't concentrate on a question and had to read two to three times any line.. panic set in.. and those CR and SC questions that I would have got right, I think I messed up.. ultimately in the end I had 10 questions remaining in 10 mins.. Somehow finished my test..

I knew I had messed up in verbal.. but I was still expecting a score above 700.. I am right now quite dejected to say the least.

One of my school's deadline is 22nd July and I know I can't retake the test before that. Sad So I called up the school immediately after my test.. and explained to them my situation.. Fortunately, the school agreed to consider my GMAT score even after the deadline but only if I report by 31st July and so now I have to retake GMAT on 31st July i.e. 31 days after taking the GMAT.

Whatever happened on 29th has put a dent on my confidence though.. need to get back in groove.. have to be so much prepared that incidences like late check ins and a drink such as Red Bull.. (I swear I won't take it again) should not shake someone so much that you score so lesssss!!!!

I am from an oversubscribed pool of Indian, IT, Male applicants.. and that's why I think that I need a really high GMAT score.. I feel that my credentials are pretty good and in comparison with successful candidates in top b schools that I have visited..

I need a plan now to excel in verbal, no matter what situation I am in.. it's imperative that I score high on 31st July..

4 comments:

  1. just went thru ur post....

    Wish u luck.

    Another GMAT aspirant (Date:around october)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks buddy.. all the best to you too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTF!! you had redbull during your exam??

    Anyways things like these happen dude..toss the previous disappointment out the window and concentrate on next dead line of July 31. I am sure it will be nothing less than 720. Do well and wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IIM thing is cool man.

    ReplyDelete